GRIND AND SEAL CONCRETE
Grind and Seal Services
If you’re looking for a rustic and modern alternative to tiles or wooden flooring, grind and seal concrete is the perfect solution. Its hard-wearing, great looking, non-slip finish makes it a fantastic choice for inside and outside your home, for commercial properties, and even industrial applications. Through an advanced machine grinding process, we can transform a standard concrete floor into a clean slate, then seal it with either acrylic, epoxy or polyurethane. Call Nazcrete today on 0413948228 for a free quote and consultation and get stunning sealed concrete floors for your home or business.
Grind and Seal for a Weathered Character
Grind and Seal is often carried out on older slabs to retain and enhance an existing floor character, complete with cracks and other imperfections. Working with an existing slab, we’re limited by your slab’s age and quality, how it was poured, what’s already in the slab and the level and distribution of the stones in your slab.
Quite often, it’s only when we commence the job that the slab’s characteristics and quality unfold! We typically grind back 5mm for more exposure, less for minimal exposure, but this will depend on your budget, as the cost increases the deeper we grind. Talk with our team today for more information.
The Benefits of a Grind and Seal Floor
- Grind and seal concrete is less labour intensive than concrete polishing so Grind and Seal installation costs can be much cheaper.
- Depending on the level of grinding done, we can expose gradients of the concrete’s rocks and stones creating a decorative effect.
- Beads or grit can also be added to the floor to make it more slip-resistant, making it great for outdoor concrete surfaces like pools, driveways, eating areas or outdoor showers.
- Unlike concrete polishing, the seal applied to the concrete can give the floor a matte, satin or gloss finish and protect the concrete from stains and wear.
The Right Seal for the Finish You Want
We can use a variety of sealers; acrylic, epoxy or polyurethane, and can create your desired finish in either gloss or matte. The concrete Grind and Seal technique has a non-porous finish, which means it will stay clean and is ultra-low maintenance. You have a choice of finish in matte or glossy and even UV-resistant for outdoor areas. An older or more weathered slab may not have the necessary strength to do concrete polishing and will just require a grind and seal finish to complement its character. This finish still looks awesome and has a real urban feel!
Grind and Seal Process
Similar to how wooden floorboards are polished as a finish, concrete grind and seal involves grinding or sanding concrete back to a smooth finish and then painting with a sealer. A timber floor is sanded and sealed; a concrete floor is ground smooth with specialist grinding machinery. High traffic grind and seal floors may require re-coating in five years or so, an important factor to keep in mind if you’re looking to use it long term.
Our Standard Process is as follows:
- Grind with 30 grit to required exposure.
- Grind with 60 grit to remove scratches
- Grind with 120 grit to further remove scratches
- We then carry out a perfect cleaning process to remove dust and excess concrete.
- Finally, we apply a minimum of two coats of sealer, more only if necessary.
When ground, some concrete requires grouting to fill up holes and imperfections in the surface. This can result in an overall better look but is up to the client’s discretion.
Quotes at Grind and Seal Melbourne
Every Grind and Seal is different, and there are a number of factors that can affect the quality of the final results, as well as the cost. If you are comparing quotes, it’s important that you compare the process:
Variations can include:
- The number of passes of the grind
- The quality of the sealant used
- The number of coats applied
- The experience of the installation company